Wheeling CVBlog: August Events
By: Jennifer Materkoski
August is a busy month in Wheeling with many events at Heritage Port and around town as summer comes to a close. Here is a look ahead at some things you won’t want to miss:
- Centre Market Concert Series (Friday, August 4): Enjoy the sights and sounds of Centre Market as local favorite Hit Play takes the stage for the next installment of the Centre Market Concert Series. The streets will be closed for the live music, which starts at 8:00 p.m., but many businesses will offer extended hours for food and beverage during the show. No coolers are allowed. The show is free to the public.
- Debbie Green Memorial Race (Friday, August 4 through Saturday, August 5): One of Wheeling’s most popular races returns for a weekend of activities on Friday, August 4 and Saturday, August 5. The race is run in memory of Debbie Green, an Ohio Valley girl who died of leukemia in 1972 at the age of 9. The Green Mile, a one-mile race through downtown, begins at Heritage Port on Friday at 7:00 p.m. Debbie’s Dash, a 100-yard quick race for kids nine and under, begins Saturday at 5:00 p.m. at Heritage Port. The event closes with the 5K race Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Registration fees and deadlines are listed online.
- The Blues Brothers at Capitol Theatre (Thursday, August 10): Kick off a weekend of blues music with a screening of the classic musical crime comedy “The Blues Brothers.” The show is presented by the Wheeling CVB and is part of a summer-long movie series at The Capitol Theatre in Downtown Wheeling. The show begins at 7:30 p.m., and tickets are available online in advance. The cost is $4 for adults and $2 for kids.
- Heritage Music Bluesfest (Friday, August 11 through Sunday, August 13): The Heritage Music Bluesfest is back again this year to fill Heritage Port with the moody sounds of blues music. There is a full schedule of performers for all three days at Heritage Port, plus a second stage and after festival jams at nearby River City. The show runs from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Friday, 12:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Saturday and 1:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are available online with early bird prices starting at $75 for the weekend.
- Mahrajan Lebanese Festival (Saturday, August 12 through Sunday, August 13): Celebrate Lebanese culture at Oglebay Resort with the Mahrajan Lebanese Festival. Hosted by Our Lady of Lebanon Church, the event is now in its 84th The two-day festival offers a full schedule of entertainment, and a wide variety of ethnic food will be available, along with dance demonstrations and activities for kids. There is no cost for admission, and the event is rain or shine.
- Adult Night Out at Good Zoo (Saturday, August 12): Beer, wine and animals… What more could you need? Grab some friends and head to Oglebay’s Good Zoo Adult Night Out. The zoo will open up after hours for guests over the age of 21. All exhibits will be open, and beers, ciders, wines and food will be available for purchase. Guests can also join in games of corn hole, beer pong and beach volleyball. The event runs from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Admission is free for zoo members and $9.95 for non-members. Registration is open
- Mountaineer Brew Fest (Saturday, August 19): A local favorite event is back on Saturday, August 19 at 4:00 p.m. when the Mountaineer Brewfest pulls into Heritage Port. Guests can sample from over 70 breweries, snag a gourmet snack provided by Wheeling Island Hotel and Casino and listen to a full slate of live music. General admission and VIP tickets are available online with an early bird discount until August 1. All guests must be 21 to purchase tickets.
- King’s Daughters Dragon Boat Racing (Saturday, August 26): Head to Heritage Port on Saturday, August 26 at 8:30 a.m. for the Third Annual King’s Daughters Dragon Boat Race. Teams of 20 members (plus a drummer) row the unique and traditional boats along the Ohio River to compete for top prize. The family-friendly event is fun to watch, and activities and food will be available on site. Proceeds from this fundraiser benefit King’s Daughters Child Care Center.