Santa is Bringing lots of Events to Wheeling, WV
Wheeling CVBlog: Holiday Events in Wheeling
By: Jennifer Materkoski, M.A.
Christmas is just around the corner, but there are still plenty of holiday events to catch in Wheeling. Here is a look at what is coming up in the next few weeks:
- A Family Christmas (December 16): 1170 and The Ron Retzer Trio take the stage at the Capitol Theatre on Friday, Dec. 16 at 7:00 p.m. to perform holiday favorites. The show is sure to be fun for the whole family. Tickets are available online for $20. Also available this holiday season is “Your Seat in the Spotlight.” This program, offered by the Wheeling CVB, allows you to celebrate a loved one by purchasing a seat in the theater on his or her behalf. Each seat is $250 and comes with a commemorative plaque. All purchases are tax deductible. For more information, please call 304-233-7709.
- Skiing at Oglebay Resort (Starting December 16): The slopes at Oglebay come alive on Friday, Dec. 16 at 4:00 p.m. Skiing at Oglebay offers state-of-the-art snow making, jumps, a fire pit, a triple chair lift and ski and snowboard rentals. The slopes are open Fridays from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Sundays 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Special hours are also available during school breaks and Ohio County Schools weather closings. Ski and snowboard lessons and clinics are also available throughout the season. Visit the slopes’ page on Oglebay’s website to sign up for snow alerts.
- Merry and Bright Candy Cane Hunt (December 17): A unique activity for the kids is the Merry and Bright Candy Cane Hunt at Schrader Environmental Center at Oglebay Park on Saturday, Dec. 17 at 5:00 p.m. The event starts with a holiday craft followed with a hike through the trails to hunt for candy canes for a chance to win prizes (don’t forget to bring a flashlight). Afterward, warm up with hot chocolate and cookies. All children must be accompanied by an adult, and the cost is $6 for Oglebay Institute members/$7 non-members per child.
- Centre Market Talking Christmas Tree (December 16- 17): A piece of Wheeling’s holiday history is back in action at Centre Market. The Talking Christmas Tree was a fixture outside the former L.S. Good store downtown. It has been resurrected and put in Centre Market for a new generation to enjoy. On Friday, Dec. 16, guests can visit with Santa Claus from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and see the Talking Christmas Tree from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. On Saturday, Dec. 17, take the last opportunity of the season to see the tree from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. There will also be kids activities and a coloring book give away.
- Holiday Show at CMOV (December 22): The Children’s Museum of the Ohio Valley will host a holiday show on Thursday, Dec. 22 at 6:00 p.m. The show will feature music from Mista Cookie Jar and Seasick Crocodile and musicians from The Bridge and Tunnel Collective. There will also be a visit from Santa, and cookies and hot cocoa will be served. The cost is $5 per person and is suitable for all ages.
- Holiday Art Camp for Kids (December 22-23): School is out for Christmas break, but fun and learning continues at the Stifel Fine Arts Center’s Holiday Art Camp for Kids. On Thursday, Dec. 22 and Friday, Dec. 23 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., parents can drop off children in First through Eighth Grade to spend the day creating an array of holiday art. Kids can attend one or both days and must provide their own bagged lunch. Cost is $30 for OI members/$35 for non-members. Register online or by calling 304-242-7700.
- Las Vegas New Year’s Eve Party (December 31): Celebrate New Year’s Eve in style at Wheeling Island Casino and Resort’s Las Vegas NYE Party. Doors open at 8:00 p.m. in the Showroom, and the Surround Sound Band takes the stage from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. Appetizers will be served 8:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., and midnight brings a balloon drop and champagne toast. Tickets are $25 each and available online.