Labor Day of Fun
Wheeling CVBlog: Labor Day Events
By: Jennifer Materkoski, MA
Celebrate Labor Day weekend with one of the many events going on in and around Wheeling. Here is a look at some of your options:
- Wheeling Vintage Raceboat Regatta (Sept. 1 – 3): Now in its 12th year, the Wheeling Vintage Raceboat Regatta brings together boating enthusiasts from all over the region to benefit Easter Seals. The weekend of events begins on Friday, Sept. 1, when the pits are open at Heritage Port for fans to check out the boats and even go on board to tour some of them. Opening ceremonies will start at 9:45 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 2, with racing from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Guests can enjoy live music and receive autographs from the racers during the intermission. Racing continues following the same schedule on Sunday, Sept. 3. There is no admission charge for the event.
- First Fridays (Sept. 1): Kick off the long weekend with Wheeling’s First Fridays Many businesses in and around Downtown Wheeling will offer food and drink specials, merchandise savings and special hours. Artworks Around Town will host its free monthly Gallery Hop from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Casa Di Vino hosts a “Walkabout Wine Tasting.” From 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. For a $10 cover charge, guests can sample the six wines offered and enjoy a complimentary meat and cheese platter. The Centre Market Concert Series continues with a performance by the Johnny Staats Project at 8:00 p.m. on the south end of the market. The show is free to the public.
- Fort Henry Days (Sept. 2- 3): Take in a bit of Wheeling history with the annual Fort Henry Days celebration at Oglebay’s Levenson Shelter beginning on Saturday, Sept. 3. The event, which celebrates historic events of Wheeling’s frontier days, will offer woodcarver shows and reenactments. Plenty of crafts and food will be available for sale. There is no charge for admission to the event.
- Dock Dogs at Cabela’s (Sept. 2 – 4): Have a furry friend who loves to leap? Check out the Dock Dogs competition at Cabela’s at The Highlands beginning on Saturday, Sept. 2 at 9:00 a.m. The world-renowned traveling competition showcases dogs jumping off a dock into a 40-foot pool. Guests can enjoy free hot dogs and soda from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. while supplies last. The event follows the same schedule on Sunday, Sept. 3 and Monday, Sept. 4.
- Music Under the Stars (Sept. 3): Join the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra for Music Under the Stars in the final installment of Oglebay’s Summer Concert Series. The concert begins at 7:00 p.m. at the Anne Kuchinka Amphitheater. After the concert, enjoy a stunning display of fireworks. Both the concert and fireworks are free to the public, and many other specials and discounts are available for lodging and activities during the weekend. For more information, please visit oglebay-resort.com.