Fall is Here!
Fall Events in Wheeling
By: Jennifer Materkoski, M.A.
- Oglebayfest (October 7-9, 2016): A Wheeling Area favorite since 1978, Oglebayfest kicks off at Oglebay Park on Friday, Oct. 7. A weekend full of events will keep visitors of all ages busy. Arts and crafts vendors will fill the mansion grounds offering a range of items such as pottery, jewelry, natural beauty products, candy and wine. Oglebayfest operates in conjunction with the Ohio County Fair, and visitors can browse livestock displays and Ohio County 4-H exhibits. There will be plenty of entertainment available throughout the weekend. Special laser shows will be presented at the Benedum Theater inside the Good Zoo on Saturday and Sunday. Live music will be presented Friday and Saturday night at Hess Shelter, and a fireworks show will take place Saturday night at 8:00 p.m. Weekend lodging specials are available. For more information, call 1-877-436-1797.
- WVU Gold and Blue Debut (October 13, 2016): The West Virginia University Mountaineers Men’s Basketball Team kicks off its season with a trip to Wheeling’s WesBanco Arena on Thursday, Oct. 13 at 7:00 p.m. Presented by Coca-Cola, the event is free to the public and will feature a 30-minute exhibition game between the Gold Team and Blue Team. Additionally, fans will be introduced to the team and coaching staff and will have the opportunity to receive autographs after the game. Doors open at 6:00 p.m.
- Wheeling Nailers’ Season Opener (October 15, 2016): The Wheeling Nailers kick off the team’s 25th season on Thursday, Oct. 15 at 7:05 p.m. at WesBanco Arena. The team takes on the Brampton Beast, and several promotions are scheduled for the evening. For “Pucktober Fest,” fans can receive autographs from Nailers’ alumni Louis Dumont, Doug Sauter and Darren Schwartz. All fans receive a magnetic game schedule and will see the raising of the 2015-2016 Eastern Conference Championship banner. Tickets are available online starting at $18.
- Events at The Capitol Theatre (Various Dates): The Capitol Theatre will be very busy this fall, starting with Rock and Roll Doo Wop Volume 12 on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 7:00 p.m. This show features Paul Revere’s Raiders, The Coasters, Joey Dee and the Starlighters and The Flamingos featuring Terry Johnson. Tickets are available online and start at $36. Country music star Josh Turner performs on Saturday, Oct. 22 at 8:00 p.m. Tickets for that show are available online and start at $38. On Thursday, Nov. 3 at 7:30 p.m., comedian Gallagher brings his “Jokes on You Comedy Tour” to the Capitol stage. Joining him are special guests Artie Fletcher and Bob Nelson. Tickets are available online starting at $24.50. In addition to the shows at the Capitol Theatre, a special event for Disney fans comes to WesBanco Arena. Disney Live! Mickey and Minnie’s Doorway to Magic will be presented on Sunday, Oct. 16 at 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. Tickets are available online and start at $16.
- Boo at the Zoo (Weekends October 14 – 30, 2016): The Good Zoo gets spooky every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from Oct. 14 through Oct. 30. Visitors will receive a special bag to Trick-or-Treat at various stations set up throughout the zoo (the animal exhibits will all be open). A Halloween-themed train ride will operate throughout the event. Boo at the Zoo will operate from 6:00 – 8:30 p.m. on Fridays and 4:00 – 8:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The zoo will close to normal business at 3:00 p.m. on those days. Tickets are $7.45 – $9.95 per person, depending on member status. Train tickets are an additional $2.50 per person.
- Shadows Ball Costume Party (October 22, 2016): Don a creative costume and head to Oglebay Institute’s Stifel Fine Arts Center on Saturday, Oct. 22 at 7:00 p.m. The Shadows Ball offers guests the opportunity to celebrate among the Visions and Shadows exhibition while they enjoy sideshow acts including glass walking, brain flossing, human blockhead, burlesque, the bed of nails, pain wands and more performed by Kabarett Vulgare. Other live entertainment includes a performance by Tongue n’ Cheek, film screenings and raffles. Prizes will be given for the most creative costumes. Tickets start at $35 per person with a VIP option available for $75 (includes entry to VIP lounge and special food and drink). Purchase tickets online or by calling 304-242-7700.
- The Open Market at Wheeling’s Centre Market (Saturdays through October 29): A new flair comes to Centre Market with The Open Market each Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. In addition to the many permanent shops and storefronts, visitors can now browse vendors and exhibitors from all over the Ohio Valley. Items for sale include handcrafted wares, fresh produce, clothing, repurposed furniture and more. The Open Market currently occupies the entire east side block of Centre Market, and organizers hope to see the event expand throughout the first year. The market will not be held on Oct. 8. The last market for the season will be on Saturday, Oct. 29, and it will resume in April.